Student work placements
The opportunity for students to undertake work placements within industry is a cornerstone of RMIT University’s approach to industry-relevant education and training. Most students will participate in some form of Work Integrated Learning during their study at RMIT. Students are motivated to undertake work placements to enhance their work skills and employability and for many work placements are a prescribed part of professional accreditation in their fields of study.
Benefits to industry
Industry clients benefit from providing a student with a work placement in a variety of ways:
- The opportunity to give a potential recruit a trial without obligation.
- Having a pool of potential recruits with awareness of workplace culture.
- An injection of new ideas and enthusiasm.
- Developing links with the University.
- Staff development opportunities that arise from employees mentoring students.
Work placements take many forms and can be tailored to suit the needs of industry:
- Paid cooperative education placements (or internships) range from a few months to up to one year, and can take place in Australia or offshore. This enables companies to trial prospective employees, temporarily fill vacant positions and play a role in preparing the future workforce.
- Voluntary placements last for a shorter time and provide valuable experience for a student, often within the not-for-profit sector.
- Industry-based projects may take the form of a research or problem-solving project, where the student and industry collaborate on a specific topic.
- Clinical or other professional placements usually form part of a student’s professional accreditation process, often within the health and community services sectors.
The Industry Development team will direct your work placement enquiry to the appropriate college or school.
Latest work placement stories
RMIT students in Airbus challenge final
Careers toolkit takes RMIT students to the world
App makes getting to class easier
If you are a student, please direct your work placement enquiry to your School.