Australian Government OS-HELP Loan Scheme
If you are going on exchange at one of RMIT’s partner institutions or you are a Study Abroad student, this loan could assist with your travel expenses.
Value and duration
In 2013, maximum loan amount available is $6051.
To be eligible for this loan you must:
- be an Australian citizen or hold a permanent humanitarian visa
- not have received OS-HELP on more than one previous occasion
- be enrolled in an undergraduate program at RMIT
- be a Commonwealth-supported student
- have already completed the equivalent of at least two full-time semesters of study (96 credit points) towards your course
- be enrolled in full-time study at an overseas higher education institution for which you will be outside Australia while undertaking the study, including a study program at an overseas RMIT campus
- have your overseas study count as credit for your RMIT course
- still have the equivalent of one full-time semester (48 credit points) to complete at RMIT when you return
- provide a Tax File Number
- not have received an OS-HELP loan from another higher education institution for an overlapping period
- be eligible for the HECS-HELP
- exchange or Study Abroad placement must be approved by RMIT Education Abroad.
How to apply
You should apply for OS-HELP at the same time as you apply for exchange/study abroad.
You must be accepted for your exchange/study abroad by the Education Abroad Office (EAO) before we can grant you an OS-HELP loan.
To apply, complete the OS-HELP Application Form (word 220 KB).
Please submit your application to:
Education Abroad Office
Building 15, Ground Floor, City Campus
Educational Abroad Office
GPO Box 2476
Melbourne VIC 3001 Australia
There is no open date but you need to submit your OS-HELP application at least two months before you commence your overseas study. If you apply late you will receive your loan late.
There is no closing date for OS-Help but students cannot apply for an OS-Help loan after they have returned from their overseas program and must apply no later than one month into their program.
Terms and conditions
Your loan is added to your HECS-HELP debt.